PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 22:42
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
O.K., 'bird. I thot the jet was in Alt 1.
This surprises me, because you've certainly been active enough on the thread of doom to know otherwise!

So Alt 2 is a different beast WRT roll commands and aircraft reactions.

It still bugs me that I have to figure out exactly what law I am operating with.
The difference is fairly academic really. I think it boils down mainly to the aircraft being slightly more sensitive in roll - other than that it's fairly transparent.

Seems to me that "stby gains" ( gear up or gear down values) and basic gee commands/protections and AoA inputs should have saved the day. Then there are all the inertial/rate sensors that don't need a single atmospheric input.
We covered this in the mega-thread though. The "soft" protections would have stabilised the aircraft until well into the sequence *had the PF just let go of the sidestick*.

The assumption in the EFCS design is that if there has been a failure sufficient to degrade from Normal Law, then the human pilots are given priority over the systems on the grounds that they are likely to know more than the systems do about the status of the aircraft. Such priority is exercised by being able to override the soft protections via control inputs.

@Winnerhofer - OK, we know AF has had a few issues in recent times, but I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to say by providing us that link.