PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 18:41
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
This doesn't just happen at the 'warden so I hear!

Pilot availability aside, saving money by not having overtime for TFO's is without doubt, detrimental to operational capability and this is especially so for urban units. This is increasing the number of ac being single crewed resulting in the effectiveness of these units being restricted. In turn, this extends the circumference of these well known circles for those able to do the tasks requiring a full crew. If it doesn't work with traffic or patrol cars, how can we expect it to work with helicopters?

What we end up with is ac flitting across regions covering the shortfall, but never quite getting to the jobs in time due to the extended areas of coverage. A dog chasing its tail may look very funny to 'the owner', but to the dog with it's sense of duty, it's very frustrating. Eventually, people get fed up with watching your dog chasing its tail, so they don't ask for it any more!

Without doubt, this is a direct example of how cost cutting is having a detrimental effect on operational capability.

In the words of Mr Fawlty:
Listen, don't mention the single crewing! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. [returns to the Germans]
So! It's all forgotten now, and let's hear no more about it. So, that's two egg mayonnaise, a prawn Wakefield, a Hermann Section 23FA, and four collaboration agreement salads.

Manuel: [hidden behind front desk, with moose head in plain sight] How are YOU, sir? I can speak police aviation. I learn it from a book.

A genuine broadcasted title piece!