PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 16th Jun 2014, 16:40
FlightlessParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wings evolved in nature, over millions of years as what we call dinosaurs became birds.
Actually, wings seem to have evolved several times. Certain seeds, for one. Membrane wings, in pterosaurs (or whatever they are called these days), and perhaps twice in mammals, bats and sugar-gliders (perhaps more often than twice). The terrifying flying snake seems to have invented the lifting body. The bird wing seems to be the most amazing invention of all, because I think the current thought is that feathers first evolved as a form of temperature control, before they became that amazing, constantly adaptive wing surface that birds use (I remember my amazement when I first realised what was going on when a duck came in to land). On a suitably slightly comic but also heroic note, in the penguins the wing has evolved into an underwater surface, roughly corresponding to the fins of fish.

One point of this is that it is probably a mistake to worry too much about a single "inventor" of the aeroplane. Multiple strands: and in any case, the people who actually got off the ground were often successful integrators of a whole range of knowledge and nifty wheezes, rather than inventors. The idea of the hero-inventor is a bit over-romantic.

Also, whilst it is rather telling that God-as-creator and American priority were brought together that way, enough of the "imaginary friend" bullsh1t. I don't know whether God is there or not, and agree it's not a suitable topic for an aviation forum, but it does need to be said that Dawkins is a d1ckhead, with a complete ignorance about religion, and gives atheism a bad name (read Mary Midgley's _The Solitary Self_ for a nice critique by someone who is no religious believer).