PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying outside the box
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 16:36
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet your company would feel a whole lot better if you exhibit proper disciplines with yoru crews and explain the importance of following SOPs rather than showing guys how good you may have been when flying for Pop Belkin's Flying Circus.
Do you forget the first line in almost every SOP that states (paraphrasing) the SOP cannot cover all circumstances, and therefore the pilot will be required to use their piloting technique and good decision making? In those, far and few between, circumstances knowing the full ability of the aircraft may make the difference between your passengers having a ride but being alive, or having a smooth ride and ending up in a smoking hole in the ground.

People who preach that the SOP's are the only way to fly the aircraft often forget that, sometimes, the airplane doesn't want to play the SOP game. That, or they've never actually gotten themselves into a situation where strict adherence to the SOP's could have killed them.

I'd rather be at home with my wife and kids than be known as the pilot who "flew the SOP's to the ground" rather than flying the airplane.

This being typed by a guy who writes, teaches and monitors for compliance of SOP's at a company which is teaching our pilots to become pilots again and to realize that SOP's are a tool, not a crutch.