PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 14:08
peterc005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son is most of the way thru the RMIT course and here are my observations:

1) The course seems to have improved greatly with a new course co-ordinator started about two years ago, about the same time it changed to a two year Associate Degree.

2) The place is quite structured and strict, with a big emphasis on check lists and SOPs. This may not suit all people, but is probably a good idea when you have a lot of young guys who sometimes have more hormones than good sense. flying small planes all over the country. It also builds good habits for pilots potentially headed for large organisations like airlines.

3) All of the planes are quite new. A mixture of C172, C182 and a Super Decathlon. Some of the planes have analogue instruments, some are G1000. Very nice fleet and very suitable for this type of training.

4) Over the years I'd heard some adverse things about the RMIT CFI, but my son's experience dealing with him has been very good and I now have a positive impression about him.

5) My son's first instructor at RMIT was a disaster, but he spoke to course co-ordinator and got a new instructor who has been excellent. The new instructor was previously a Qantas LAME and is one of the best instructors I've met in the past twenty years.

6) I've met half a dozen RMIT instructors and they all seem pretty decent and positive about the place.

7) Training at RAAF Williams Point Cook means there are great resources, with massive and good quality runways right next to a variety of controlled airspace environments. The RMIT buildings are very good, but it's a pain to have to drive to the shopping centre for food.

8) My son did his PPL at a larger GA school Moorabbin before starting at RMIT and went straight into second year. In hindsight this saved quite a bit of cash and gave him exposure to different environments which has proved valuable.

9) I can notice a difference in my son's flying. He has a much more professional approach which shows in in areas like pre-flight preparation, radio calls, circuit procedures etc.

10) In summary, it's a fairly tough course that needs a bit of dedication and hard work, but the facilities and training are very good. Junior is enjoying the course, making good progress and has made some good mates.