PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia recruiting
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 12:43
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kpnagidi: Being new to AsA, you probably are not familiar with many of the 'goings on' there. So, step by step
Didn't AsA ask for experienced Australian ATCOs in 2011?
Yes, but AsA has something called the 'black list", an illegal 'phantom arrangement' whereby managers can veto a re-hiring. The reasons for achieving placement on the list are many and varied, from union activity, to being a pain-in-the-arse employee as described by PMS. As to why someone might write a $hit-o-gram on exit? The reasons are legion. Everything from being lied to (who in AsA hasn't been lied to by a manager?), shafted, illegally passed over for a promotion or transfer...as I said, legion. Not being re-hired because of that- petty. How many managers fit that description?
Experienced guys being asked to return and go to Karratha? A year or two might be an expected penance, but experienced guys KNOW AsA.
Until recently, the package for returners was pretty random. Often, the offer was to start again at the bottom. Hardly attractive or fair for someone with 20 years experience. I digress, just trying to give you some perspective.
Doesn't AsA recruit newbies every year?
No. Over the last 13 years, they have hired intermittently, much to the chagrin of everybody working the traffic. Some people, 'union agitators' etc. lobbied long and hard for AsA to address it's staff numbers- only to be met with staff cuts, college closure, etc. etc. Continue to drive the existing staff harder and harder to plug the holes (including going to industrial arbitration to be able to have 'compulsory overtime'!), less leave, almost impossible to transfer for career change/enhancement.... and the 'union agitator' leaves and gets placed on the black list. The managers responsible? NOT ONE FCKING BIT OF ACCOUNTABILITY.
I'm guessing there's more than just money into these rejections.
Of course there is- and it's usually a case of poor management. As one who is on the list, I can tell you it sticks in the craw when told you are not a 'cultural fit' with an organisation whose CEO, AT THAT MOMENT, is misusing his corporate credit card and is subsequently discovered and fired. Cultural fit? FFS.
As for the $40000 at most, any ideas on how much is A YEARS' training costs to get a new ATCO at year one experience?
I do, actually, have some idea. That's not the point. 457 visas have become necessary due to MISMANAGEMENT. 457 visas not only affect the potential hiring of young Australians into skilled jobs, they undermine AsA itself. Internal movement ( a BIG issue) is stifled. How many existing employees would love a tower gig, or a go at approach? I bet AsA has been telling people the 457s are 'backfill', right? Lol. some things never change.

What's the answer? I could go into a long-winded speech, but I'll spare you. Suffice to say, these issues could be tackled in other ways (maybe have a look at what other countries do for a start). They might cost a little more than the AsA way, but those relocation costs would go some way to mitigate.
If you are on the shlt list though I guess it's stiff bikkies.
Though I am not interested in returning atm (although it would be nice to have the option), I have a child leaving school soon, and the 457 issue really pisses ME off. Politics- yet another method for '**** list' entry.