PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia recruiting
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2014, 21:28
kpnagidi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Gents, step by step here.

I am one of the "international experienced" who accepted to come half way round the world. And I do understand where these posts are coming from, the subject is also raised at a similar mood back at my country.

Originally Posted by ferris
The 457 issue and skilled, available, Australians not being hired aside (and a piss-poor defence of that, btw, Sunny)......allowing AsA to get away with not training young Australians into the roles is disgraceful.
Didn't AsA ask for experienced Australian ATCOs in 2011?

Didn't AsA ask for experienced Australian ATCOs for Karratha, Broom and Alice Springs in 2012?

Didn't AsA ask for experienced Australian ATCOs again just a month or two ago?

Doesn't AsA recruit newbies every year?

Now why would they ask for more experienced controllers? Hmm... Could it be they still don't have enough?

Unfortunately the case is that there are quite a number of local Aussie ex ATC employees of Airservices who have been trying to get back in over the last 4-5 years and being rejected by the employer and then hiring foreign nationals to fill the slots, at a far greater expense than to employ a local.
A number? Sorry to hear, trully. But as bussinesses are run by numbers not people, I'm guessing there's more than just money into these rejections.

Originally Posted by ferris
I wonder how many Australians with bright, young kids who would be perfectly suited to such a role, would be happy to learn that AsA pays foreigners a relocation of $40,000 to MOVE to Australia? $40grand would pay a lot of young people's airfares to get to a testing centre.

The truth is, as was posted earlier in this thread, one doesn't compete against another, but against a standard. You either have it or you don't. And I'm sure the bright, young kids are excellent but perhaps, just perhaps, some are not fit for the job.

As for the $40000 at most, any ideas on how much is A YEARS' training costs to get a new ATCO at year one experience?

Looking forward to meeting you all. And talk it over again.