PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 15th Jun 2014, 19:24
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AA62,

Belize LOX run #382, crikey, you must be a mind reader. If I'm not devoid of my senses, a fellow poster, Fergineer, was the Eng. Here it goes.

A standard Belize LOX run, in to Homestead, fill up the LOX container and off we go. So, taxi out, line up, and thrunge levers forward, No2 decides it doesn't want to fly, and early enough for an abort. So we stay on the ground. Ambient temperature was high, and having used the brakes during the abort, it only took a little more to cause problems. As usual I followed the Loady down the crew steps as we parked. The LH brakes were spitting fire! I pointed it out to the Loady, and we duly abandoned Albert. The vent for the LOX container was right above the LH undercarriage! as you operates will know. The Lime Green firefighting machine that arrived seemed devoid of fear as they approached, and threatened to squirt their stuff on the wheels. I pointed out that it might create serious problems, so they monitored the situation, the fuse plug on both LH Mainwheels did their job, and duly deflated the mainwheels.

So, the engine prob turned out to be a valve housing change, the wheels and Brakes are self explanatory. We were broken, no Ranger pack aboard so I had no option but to request a recovery. The team would arrive in two days, meanwhile Homestead were having their annual air display, and asked if we would be available as a "static exhibit". No probs was our Captains reply, and we duly planned our sudden inclusion. ISTR that our Loady was a commisioned officer who managed to ensure that all the galley outlets fed Gin and Tonic, on the day, and we all took turns at showing visitors around, and generally had a great day (I certainly enjoyed a look around the F117 parked next to us, a new aircraft for most of us). The best part of the day was to come.

As the day came to an end the Captain took me aside and offered me a set of Flt Lt rank tabs, and explained that the crew had been invited to the "O's" mess for a post display do. I think it was only then that I realised that all of the crew were commisioned . Well, it still sits firmly in my memory as one if the best nights I spent down route. Not sure if Fergineer will remember my request for tomato ketchup to accompany the steaks (in the O's Mess), there was certainly some "joshing" at the time. I also remember some trepidation when the base commander asked me how many Commisioned Ground Engineers our fleet had, I assured him that I was one of several we both knew the game was up, but he chose to accept the status quo. Anyway, another gift from Albert, to be treasured. Perhaps, if my memory is correct, Fergineer could remind me who our Captain was, certainly a brake burner, and most certainly someone who included all crew as part of the team.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 15th Jun 2014 at 22:00.