PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SR111 report released
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2003, 23:46
aardvark2zz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get the cockpit transcript, and not the ATC transcript. It seems surprising that they didn't include it in the official final report. When someone hides something, that is to me a clear warning sign of a conspiracy.

Where can I get on the web the summary of the FDR data ?

One of the first things I was told while training was to land immediately once a fire is detected.

Also, since there have been fires in several planes whereby most have turned up disastrous I still find it hard in this day and age in this 3rd millennium that so much time is spent diagnosing fires. It seems to me that once you've spent 5 minutes unsuccessfully diagnosing smoke that you have to land within 15 minutes max. F*&? the extra time for a fuel dump. I'm sure planes can still land with a lot of fuel. But of course the brakes are going to be shot, but hey it's relatively minor maintenance as compared to a lost plane.

I find it frustrating that pilots reading this report will believe that it is almost impossible to land a plane with smoke when in fact a precautionary descent while simultaneously diagnosing the problem could of been done. If the problem is minor then the plane can climb back out again with a minor fuel expense (remember very little fuel is consumed on descent). I'm sure a balance can be attained between spending time diagnosing and doing an immediate precautionary descent towards the closest airport or water.

From the report the weather was not CAVOK but it wasn't the end of the world.