PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2014, 23:23
Danny42C

harrym,

Never having gone back to the States since '42, I can't offer an opinion. As for troopship rations, I regret to say that, on arrival in Bombay, we showed our appreciation of the Sgt-cook's efforts by presenting him with a plaque on which we had fashioned a 3-D "Most Highly Derogatory Order of the Irremovable Digit" * (out of moulded dough, baked crisp and then coloured). I hope he saw the joke and has kept it among his souveniers.

Note * Wiki has the "Highly Derogatory Order" story, but, alas, no pictures....D.

Fareastdriver,

Your picture from Chungking looks like a very neat design more akin to the Isetta than the Bond, which I must admit was too light and flimsy to survive in today's traffic conditions (although that ridiculous Sinclair C-5 thing was taken quite seriously for a while a few years ago).

But the more substantial "Put-Puts", which took over from the rickshaws in the Far East, showed the obvious way to a cheap, urban taxi. And the single front wheel would allow the design of very short turning circle to enable U-turns in an urban street (à la the old London cabs)...D.

MPN11,

Vive les automobiles Peugeot ! I reckon our old 403 to have been far away the best car of my life...D.

Hummingfrog,

Looks like a "special" LWB (cut'n shut ?) conversion based on a straight-eight something. Any guesses ?...D.

Cheers, all. Danny.