PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spain sees the light, France next ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2014, 21:47
VFR Only Please

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trim Stab
English-native speakers always shout that all communication should be in English, without ever having made the effort to learn a second-language themselves. If it is mandatory that all aeronautical communication be in English, that would kill off most GA in non-English speaking countries - as outside English-speaking countries most PPLs don't speak much English. Why should a French PPL be obliged to learn to speak English in order to fly around his own country?

My view on this is simple - in controlled airspace both local language and English should be acceptable. Outside controlled airspace only local language should be acceptable - and if you can't speak the local language don't go into uncontrolled airspace!

The problems that I have seen arising in France are due to pilots flying around in uncontrolled airspace using English - thereby not being understood by local pilots.
You're so right. I fly out of an uncontrolled airport in France. Whenever there's an English-speaker on the frequency, I make two calls, one in each language.

And Plastic787, dig the difference between controlled and uncontrolled airports. Language chauvinism is foolish, and dangerous.