PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THY question
Thread: THY question
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2014, 16:38
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Please tell me you are unemployed

So let me get this right. Even though in this very same Middle East forum group of threads there is more than one entire THY thread! Much less answers to questions. You also failed to spot the 8 page long Turkish Airlines thread!!! You claim to have done a search and that revealed nothing!

Notwithstanding what I am about to say below. If you cannot find the info on THY on this forum you probably deserve to go there rather than take a real job in an airline somewhere.

That thread will basically answer every single question that you could possibly have. From why you shouldn't go there unless you are unemployed and have no where else to go to how they will not pay you what they are meant to, when they are meant or fulfil the contract even close to how you were told it would pan out in your interview!

They Hate You ( Ottoman Airlines) is an interesting place to see the world and whilst I will admit the staff travel wasn't bad. Seeing your family for 3 days a month when you were promised 3 wks on 1 wk off isn't funny for a year. It isn't helped by being paid less than half of your contract rate for 5 months whilst they take you through the 2nd worst training in the world, tortuously slowly and badly and say that you receive full pay when your are fully qualified Turkish Airlines "Yabanci pilot" i.e foreign pilot.

I have a particularly fond memory of a 438 page powerpoint presentation on how they organise the Operations manuals into a newly Turkish invented system called OPS Manual A, B, C, and D and how they will lead the JAA by making these new fangled manuals available, wait for it......ONLINE!! Cue 36 fellow indoctrinees face palming.

That said if you are single and don't have young children or a wife/husband then you may see it as a better option than FR.

You do get decent route exposure over 3 continents on the short haul fleets. Do however prepare yourself for the fact that you may very often be in the cockpit with nothing other than the stale smell of cigarettes ( they smoke incessantly) from push back to chocks on regardless of rules and regs and you very often wonder how they will try and kill you next. Being an FI prior prepares you for this as you fly with child like local pilots who do not want you there, tell you so to your face and generally scare you in ways you didn't think possible.

Most of these flights start with "and another thing I learnt about the B737 when I was flying the F16 was........"

Enjoy, you will particularly enjoy the fact that you can work from SAW or IST a mere 3 hrs in traffic apart and have no time given post flight in your duty so report back the next day with 5 hrs rest for a 15 hr day to Africa. I also enjoyed the 15-18 days per month down route rest in hotels whilst I paid 2000 Euros a month for a 55 sq mtr apartment that I spent 6-8 nights a month in.