PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queens Birthday Honours 2014
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2014, 16:31
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just watched the Queen's Birthday Parade and Flypast - tear to the eye here in rural France.
Overall, it was a very good parade. Even though I'm not the biggest fans of that side of military life, I must admit that we do put on a good show when required to.

I did like the interviews they did where they explained how they put the flypast together catering for the different ac speeds, probably a very interesting insight if you are not intimately involved in that sort of thing. However, I did note that Nicholas Witchell described the E-3 as 'ISTAR transport'; was that a genuine mistake or a Freudian slip I wonder?

The only disappointing thing overall was that the flypast was over so quickly. I know we are busy around the various bazaars, to be down to 1 or 2 from most types, especially fast air and Chinook when we have relatively large numbers of those, has prompted a lot of comments on various social media channels along the lines of 'was that it?' and 'I guess that's most of the RAF up then?'. But I think that is more a reflection on the cuts than the sqns and crews. Or was Air Cmd trying to make a point again as I believe it did a few years ago with a real blink and you'll miss it fly past?