PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 14th Jun 2014, 08:08
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi eetrojan

Originally Posted by eetrojan
Out of curiosity, how many of you have previously heard of "Jane's All the Word's Aircraft?" If so, do you regard it as the "bible of aviation history"? Thanks.
I would have thought that anybody seriously interested in aviation history would have come across "Jane's", especially in these days of Internet communication!

I wouldn't call it "the bible of aviation history", I would say that it's far too expensive to achieve universal use, it's a pity it isn't available in every hotel room around the World though

However, there is a free copy of the 1913 edition for download at
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1913, Edited by Fred T. Jane

Originally Posted by eetrojan
Thanks for the reply re "Jane's All the World's Aircraft." Can you provide some details on the type of information? Performance specs? News? Is it more for use by commercial pilots or by general aviation pilots? Or, perhaps, both?
I regard it's main claim to fame as it being the World's longest running comprehensive reference work on World Aviation, having been published annually since 1909 to the present day with only a few breaks due to wartime.

Jane's All the World's Aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that I did say it was an annual and I didn't say it was the first aviation publication, as I believe that accolade does belong to the French with L’Aérophile (1893-1947)