PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2014, 03:00
lvflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer to that has to be No since the former owner of 7 years did not follow proper procedures and was unaware anything wasn't right. There are no experienced Entrom pilots or mechanics around here. I can't even get an instructor to give me dual in my own Enstrom if I travel to them a distance because I don't have insurance and I can't get reasonable insurance without getting dual. I'm not interested in renting another Enstrom to satisfy that need since the flying characteristics of my Enstrom is what I want to learn and practice on. On another note I checked out the engine driven pump today. Just taxied over for fuel and I did so on the engine driven pump only without any problems. After fueling with engine warm I noticed a lot of backfiring and hesitation with just the engine pump on at low RPM, but when increased to over 2000 RPM it was smooth. In addition I checked the fuel flow indication with and without the boost pump and there was no change. So my conclusion is when warm the engine requires more fuel than the engine driven pump puts out at idle, but the pump produces plenty at higher RPMs. I was just concerned that I didn't have any redundancy and had to rely on the boost pump or the engine pump was failing, but that is not the case. Also in reading the start up checklist it says to leave the boost pump off when running up for the first cold start of the day. So after a fuel stop I guess it is normal for the engine driven pump to not be sufficient for runup.