PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2014, 23:15
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
PIO's

Be careful taking advantage of an old dinosaur that can't take any of you up and demonstrate some rather severe aerodynamic conditions, and then how to avoid them or recover.

BTW, Roulli had a great discussion on the USAF tanker crash due to "dutch roll". It seems to have a fair amount of PIO present once the yaw and roll got out of phase.

Retired has one great point about being aware of your energy state, and then your response to an abnormal event. Being low and slow requires a different technique than when you have a warning or loss of a flight parameter ( think airspeed) being high and fast. I can guarantee all that on approach with all the drag devices out and the plane not handling as crisply as when at 400 knots and clean, that my initial reaction for a stall indication was relax back pressure or even push forward a bit. For roll excursions I would relax pressure on the stick and watch for a second or two.

'bird had a great video on the other thread about PIO, and that sucker lost it in about 2 seconds due to his very high "q".

In all fairness to Doze, his idea of the "startle factor" seems to have a basis. But sheesh. We were trained to not get hyper-startled and do things until we figured out what was going wrong.

later from the peanut gallery...

Last edited by gums; 13th Jun 2014 at 23:16. Reason: typo