PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2014, 18:50
Danny42C

Hummingfrog,

Nice pictures - takes you back ! Just a few words of comment, perhaps - and I'm sure your Dad will bear me out:

The panel:

Note the hole in the top right corner. In the AT6A, this housed the 0.300 Browning, with its cocking handle sticking out back in the cockpit.

Lower left: the rotary mags/battery isolation switch. It read: "Off-Bat-L-R-Both". All the US radials I flew behind had this arrangement, one twist and you could kill everything (useful at times !)

Second from left at top: this panel-mounted (and usually incorrect) thing was all you had to navigate with: it was a wonder we ever found our destinations ! Even at the best of times, all you could do was set it to the nearest 5 degrees and guess the rest for the DI setting.

Note the "double ball", which so puzzled me in the Mk.IV VV. (Why, for pity's sake ?)

Note "cage-ing" (or was it just the setting ?) knob for the AH (this could prove interesting on a night T.O. if you'd forgotten to uncage it and were relying on it for attitude).

"Landing ?" I hope not ! (No flap, stbd leg looks dodgy to me). Think it's the T.O. a few seconds earlier.

Happy days ! Danny.