PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 11th Jun 2014, 20:09
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just looked up "JANES all the worlds aircraft" on wikipedia and NOWHERE does it say it is the BIBLE of aviation history.

There are many sources of history. One may even want to watch the film, "the man who shot liberty valance" for my view on some written histories.

So just because JANES says anything about gustave whitehead doesn't mean anything. Hear THIS GWFIRSTINFLIGHT?

DO YOU HAVE A PHOTOGRAPH of gustav's flight? Not an artist's conception or drawing!

Have you seen what CNN says about MH370? Does that make it so? ISN'T CNN THE BIBLE OF NEWS? (kidding here for emphasis)

I'm new to this thread. I've read it and wonder what proof would make simplex1 happy to admit the Wrights flew and did what many of us believe they did.

I know! Lets fund a time machine, and go back and look around connecticut for gustav's plane, and then go down to north carolina and take a look on Dec 17, 1903. (which is six years prior to JANES first plane book)

Science! Remember when science said there were canals on mars? And it turned out to be an error in translation from the italian word for lines, canali (sorry for spelling if i am wrong).

I guess you should all believe what you want. Me, THE WRIGHT BROTHERS impress the hell out of me. The others, don't. I also see the Wrights being honored by many people. Many more than those honoring the others. And they were alive at the time of the first flight by the wrights, not some editor 100 years later looking at reports of others flying.

Some guy indicated a plane shouldn't be considered for the award of being a plane if it flew with a headwind.

Maybe you should tell it to the USNavy and the USMC? They usually (aboard ship anyway) takeoff into a head wind.

Last edited by jondc9; 11th Jun 2014 at 20:21.