PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mad Max Film Aircraft ??
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2003, 16:22
Louie the Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it looks beautiful (well, maybe beautiful isn't the word...).
But then again, I thought the Apollo Lunar Excursion Module looked pretty special - not at all like one of Pablo Picaso's Haemerrhoids.
What got me about the design of the Airtruk was that somebody was able to look at a need, and re-design a solution around that, instead of grabbing an existing, conventional design, and "fitting" it with a hopper and spray gear (simplistic, I know).
Anybody who can design effectively, by thinking outside the square has my respect.
It takes a particularly creative mind, and the spirit of a gambler, to come up with something as unconventional as the Airtruk - even if it does look like the result of a Cessna, a biplane, and a crop duster having a threesome, being cousins, and taking thalidomide.
That said, there have been 100 years of conventional designs which have worked well. And many designs which, while looking conventional, have been anything but.
I remember seeing one of these many years ago, and it stuck in my head...
I thought it was the best thing in Mad Max III, an otherwise bland film.
How succesful were they? Did this unconventional design work? Was the Airtruk able to do things that no other aircraft could?
Any still flying?