PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2014, 18:31
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winnerhofer
Dubois started off as an F/A many moons ago.
Reluctantly became a Captain at an advanced age as he wasn't ambitious at IT.
Really? The report states that he obtained his PPL in 1974, then joined AF as cabin crew from 1976 to 1982, during which time he was clearly engaged in a career path towards flight crew as he obtained his qualifications during the same period. His career with the airlines began flying Caravelles for Air Inter - a type (and airline, for that matter) not known for being automation-heavy. Reading between the lines it looks to me like Dubois always intended to be a pilot, and joined AF as cabin crew to assist his career potential.

I'd like to know the source of your info there, because it doesn't tally with what I'm reading.

Bonin was fast-tracked from F/A on to the RH-seat as well as other 30 F/As in the Summer of 2008.
This is why Dubois pertinently asked: "T'as le PL, toi?"
That's a bit of an assumption - again, I'd be interested in your source, because dear old Google is failing me, and the report doesn't mention Bonin ever being CC.

Remember the AF346 crew at YYZ?
Both were ex-F/As who have since been happily promoted on the A388's flightdeck.
That may well be the case, but again I put to you that it's a bit of a stretch to claim a correlation. For one thing it was a technically difficult approach due to the weather (not to mention that the crew were fatigued, and the charts for YYZ did not include landing distances), and also I can think of several similar incidents off the top of my head (AA1420, QF1, SWA1248) in which the crews were not former FAs.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 10th Jun 2014 at 19:48.