PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEP at Ryanair
Thread: DEP at Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2014, 17:56
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure this time round Capt PS. I feel the new guy in charge at Flight Ops is extremely wary of the crewing situation and how, let us just say, tender it actually is. Miracles will never happen overnight but the guy in question appears to have identified the issue and is attempting to offer some sort of olive branch. There is communication and some level of openness from flight ops. I have even heard that a new 'installation' in STN has been very forthcoming and receptive to crew gripes over basing. As I say, miracles will never happen overnight and some of the communication on offer appears to carry the same old rhetoric; but I'm trying to be positive here. He definitely deserves to be given a chance in an unenviable position.

Previous DECs (its been a while since DEFOs were taken) had been given the base of choice. I'm not saying a bit of this won't go on this time, but they now they appear wary of possible consequences. I'm guessing there'd be massive resentment among established crew, which isn't a good thing when we see the likes of Norwegian, Emirates and Etihad recruiting in vast numbers. Previous Direct Entry hiring has largely taken place when the market was poor (someone went bust and Ryanair capitalised) or when the package on offer was much better (people saw it as a sound financial decision). I'm not sure if either is the case any longer?

This time the hiring is for specific locations and it has been said that these will be the 'less popular bases.' Expect regional Italy, Poland, Greece and Morocco, to name but a few. It will be interesting to see if there are many takers? I for one would like to see a bit of experience in the right seat but I'm also realistic, knowing people's experience/opinions. Hopefully the new guy in charge is slowly turning the ship in the right direction. If so, he deserves credit.

All in my humble opinion as well Alternatively, I might be completely deranged and it'll be back to the status quo!

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 10th Jun 2014 at 18:06.