PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 10th Jun 2014, 10:31
john_tullamarine

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
A simulator has its limitations and instructors need to know these, particularly with regard to stall training.

.. and in regard to everything not in the middle of the paddock, I suggest. Behind the box is a computer and the simulation validity is limited by what the computer driving the box might be capable of. I'm somewhat out of touch with current boxes but, going back a little, the product was limited by what the sim techs could tweak within the limitations of the computing power. I guess the situation is much the same these days albeit that the computing power is far greater and the capability likewise ?

AirRabbit's lengthy posts are some of the best I have seen on the subject.

There's a good reason for that, I suggest, confident that I know who he is. I listen attentively to what he has to say on the subject.

Even when this is the case, there is still sometimes a feeling of 'disassociation', due, I think to the inevitable small latencies in the feedback to the visual.

Indeed .. I had no great trouble finding myself experiencing vertigo in the old 727 box especially taxying. Much better when the visuals were set to 0/0.