PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 250 Hours on Type Requirement for Ex Pats - Indonesia
Old 10th Jun 2014, 01:26
pilotchute

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nachete,

I think what your saying is half true. I would say that the Twin Otter isn't exempt as I haven't seen a foreign FO on one of those for a very long time. The Caravan on the other hand while I think isn't "exempt", isn't seen as a major pathway for locals to enter the aviation scene so is largely left alone.

If Susi had to all of a sudden find people with 250 hours on type experience to fly in the RHS of her Caravans she would run out of hopefuls in about 5 seconds. If she upped the pay by about 3 grand a month she might have better luck though.

The memo that DGCA put out about the 250 hour rule was sent to all the small 135 operators as well as the big guys.

I think it was the right thing to do in regards to Lion but it will end up hurting aviation in Indonesia as they simply cant find enough warm bodies to fill the seats of the literally hundreds of aircraft they have coming in the next 5 years. Merpati going under may have taken the pressure off a little but it will only delay the pain.

The problem is when you have hundreds of 20 year old's willing to do "anything" to get into a jet, you end with lots of money going under the table and the problems that come with those sorts of deals. Everyone wants a cut and it just gets ridiculous the amount of people with their hands out. Hiring rated with no time on type would be fine if it simply meant being bonded.