PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2014, 21:24
lvflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did as you suggested on cross country trip about an hour each way. I went to low green on RPM and 1560 to 1570 TIT. Got around 12 GPH best I could do. This was with 30 gallons and 2 people about 400lbs in people. I experienced the pilot door blowing open. Really a heart stopper. Had 12 to 15 winds and the passenger door off. Any time I had a right quartering wind the pilot door would blow open. Good thing previous owners had support oleo installed. I hate to think what the door would have looked like without it. Also had a high oil temperature on GEM in cruise flight. I assume because the winds from the right were not allowing air flow from the engine fan through the oil cooler. I richened the mixture and turned away from the crosswind and temps dropped. One other peculiar thing I could use some feedback on. When I first started in the AM I did my runup without the boost pump on as directed and everything went fine. At refueling when it was hot I went to do a runup without the boost pump and the engine stuttered. Do I need to do further troubleshooting on the engine driven pump or is that to be expected at times since it is required to have the electric boost pump on at all times during flight? Is the engine driven pump sufficient for all flight and the electric boost is a precaution or is the boost necessary no matter what?