PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pa28 fuel
Thread: pa28 fuel
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2014, 18:39
tomboo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So until you're 902 and 'know' the aircraft, you don't know it, if you know what I mean! I don't have 8 million hours on type I have about 3! When I do I will hopefully have a better idea, like riding a bike perhaps, until then, I'll think I'll fill it to the, "known" quantities. It's also unrealistic to think there will always be an instructor/someone about to ask, even if you do trust everyone you meet!

I would definitely say it's silly to rely on other people's paperwork in a club environment, I don't think I've ever seen a tech log/fuel sheet without some sort of correction or mistake on it ! Come to think of it, I always do an A check, even if it's already been out. Maybe I'm just a bit too cautious. Be old not bold - I like that !

Looking at the main pilot shops, only Cessna calibrated dipsticks are sold, I haven't seen any pa-28 ones, just universal ones. That suggests to me that using a dipstick on a Cessna is more acceptable? Is that right do we think, if so, why?

I appreciate that tabs are a form of dipstick, wings level, flat surface this will obviously apply to most fuel system I'd imagine!

So in the highly regulated, safety conscious environment that we operate in, there is quite a lot of suck it and see. Am I right or just a big fat chicken?! Answers on a postcard !!

As I suspected, there is no right answer to the original question and yes it seems to apply to all types, I wasn't being pa-28ist. So I need to work out a my own rule of thumb !!