PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory questions
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2014, 11:56
Straighten Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me again. This is making me tear my non-existent hair out

During an ILS approach on RWY 33, a northwesterly wind is blowing parallel to the runway. Its speed is increasing rapidly with height while its change in direction is negligible. What has the pilot to be aware of with respect to wind shear and glide path (no autopilot engaged)?

1. Without the pilot's intervention, the aircraft is likely to fly above the designated glide path with decreasing deviation from it.
2. Without the pilot's intervention, the aircraft is likely to fly above the designated glide path with increasing deviation from it.
3. Without the pilot's intervention, the aircraft is likely to fly below the designated glide path with increasing deviation from it.
4 .A deviation from the glide path will not have to be considered since there is no significant wind shear to be expected.

I chose 2, correct is given as 3. My reason being with a constant power setting applied and no a/p, as the wind decreases, speed over the ground will increase, so you will travel further forward for the same drop in height meaning you will overshoot.

I also considered reduction in lift due to reduction in IAS, but surely with a constant power setting, this wouldn't be the case as the IAS would increase with less wind??