PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tax relief on training.
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 11:34
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 208 Likes on 75 Posts
Lightbulb

VTR was a lovely little scheme that Brown killed off on a budget day 3(?) years ago under some tripe about "closing loop holes for private pilots to claim tax relied on their hobby"... Grrrr!

The IR changed the rules that the NVQ4 in Piloting of Transport Aircraft was no longer recgnised for the purposes of VTR. VTR2 was simply the same scheme for higher rate tax payers - most mortals came under VTR1.

There was a scrabble a while back by various schools to 'attach' some element of - say - airline managament & economics onto ATPL courses. This was largely rubbish but could in some circumstances be classified as vocational training able to attract VTR still (Vocational Tax Relief was still available for all sorts of other trades and professions).

The beauty of this work around is that the school can charge - say £500hr for the 'airline management & economics' lessons. And then for the rest of the course £5hr for the ATPL groundschool proper... hence you get VTR on 90% of the COST of your course based on perhaps 5% of the actual LESSONS.

In this manner VTR in flying training continued to exist to some degree and I gave out full details of this advantageous scam at the time.

However with the implementation of JAA it all died a death. I would be suprised if you will be able to claim anything under VTR2 for JAA commercial training. However, it is always worth talking to the tax man as your personal circumstances may allow some room for manouvere.

Some people used to register themselves as a sole trading company engaged in some kind of flying business and then were able to claim hours building and materials as a business expense attracting VAT relief. However, this is a minefield and you should seek professional advice. I think the savings these days a minimal due to the move from hours to approved instruction.

Best of luck and do keep us all informed,

Cheers,