PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 9th Jun 2014, 05:30
frab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From post #528
I believe if the RAAF flight planning restriction is removed from ERSA there will be less chance of this type of accident repeating itself.
Dick, what evidence do you have to back up your assertion? In the past 30 years since MDX crashed there would have thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of light aircraft flying over the Barrington tops. How many of these aircraft have crashed or how many have come close to crashing? If it's as dangerous as you suggest, surely there must have been some reported near misses which would be an argument in support of changing the procedures.

In that same time, how many aircraft have crashed due to pilots pressing NVFR into IMC, not declaring an emergency to ATC in time, poor decision making etc which you acknowledged were contributory factors in the accident
It's clear that the pilot made numerous errors that contributed to the accident.
On the basis of probability and consequence if you are serious about wanting to prevent this type of accident from repeating itself, I suggest your time would be better spent advocating for improved pilot training and checking, better decision-making, encouraging pilots to declare emergencies sooner rather than later - i.e. education and training in airmanship.

I understand that you have been trying for years to reduce the amount of military restricted airspace however to use this accident as a vehicle to push your agenda without factual evidence is seen by many as just that.