PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 9th Jun 2014, 03:42
Check_Thrust

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Andrewr,

Regarding your question about holding, you do not have to "just orbit", you can opt to conduct your own holding pattern taking into account known or estimated wind which will give you a much better method of maintaining your position over the ground.

For example, if the wind is estimated to be a 30kt tailwind outbound and thus a 30kt headwind inbound and your TAS is 160kt, an outbound leg will of 1 minute would be about 3.17nm, therefore the inbound leg to get you back to your starting point would take about 1 minute and 28 seconds. For the inbound leg of your holding pattern you would re-establish yourself on the bearing/radial of your tracking aid.

Yes, without DME or GNSS as was the case with VH-MDX you would not be assured of your exact position but the above method would in my opinion provide enough accuracy to keep your position within a good tolerance. As for the question regarding LSALT for the hold, you could utilise Grid LSALT.

Dick,

Can I please request that you answer my question regarding the accident of N25BR mentioned in post 354. Please don't make me resort to utilising excessively large fonts to gain a response from you as others have had to do.

Last edited by Check_Thrust; 9th Jun 2014 at 04:30. Reason: Wording error