PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber pilot helped land airliner after captain fell ill
Old 8th Jun 2014, 23:48
rh200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A small turboprop operator from another continent, hum. Everyone else, in my view, would just add to the workload and contribute little to achieve the task at hand.
Rather sad, a small turbo prop operator rates a hum, above and experienced high performance heavy military pilot.

An experienced heavy jet pilot provides an extra layer of safety, especially if something else goes wrong.
What I truly find sad, is the inability to think laterally and try and use your available resources. The fact is there is a multitude of things that could go wrong, engine failure, multiple engine failure, fire, electrical issues, alarms going off etc etc.

Though you would have to think that you would be given a stacked deck if that just happened to occur at this time, that said I'm a big believer in Murphys law. Another words the holes in the swiss cheese lining up.

The fact is, if that was to happen, there would be only one person who is practically qualified to quickly go though the systems on the aircraft to identify any issues, and determin their importance. Whilst there are two people who could most likely handle the aircraft manually.

I'm not sure what your single pilot training says about handling multiple emergencies at the same time. But at the end of the day, you can only make a decision on the circumstances at the time.