PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber pilot helped land airliner after captain fell ill
Old 8th Jun 2014, 21:43
Elephant and Castle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has nothing to do with one man bands, heroics or anything of the sort. The problem is how to get the airplane down to a suitable airfield as safely and quickly as possible so our colleague can get expert medical help.

If the level of experience and knowledge of the potential "assistant" can get that job done quicker and with an increased level of safety I am all for it. If they are there just to make me feel better I dont need the distraction, I have a job to do and I am pretty busy. I certainly dont want to use ten minutes explaining how the seat is adjusted, how the radios work, where we are and where are we going, what is our call sign, etc, etc, etc

A company pilot, great. Another airline pilot rated on the same type, good. A small turboprop operator from another continent, hum. Everyone else, in my view, would just add to the workload and contribute little to achieve the task at hand. Either way in most circumstances all will be over inside 20 minutes. No heroics involved here, just fly the aircraft as we do every day. If I drop my pen, no problem I just leave it there, I dont expect to be doing much writting. Not until I get to the office anyway.