PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 8th Jun 2014, 17:53
November4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in Riyadh at the same time Smuj and Mal drop.

Walking through the lobby of the hotel with a back pack hiding the gas mask, tin hat and pistol and trying to look like tourists so we didn't frighten the business men. However many people it was wearing DPMs sor of gave the game away though.

The padre arriving with 5 or six boxes of "heavenly liquid" so he could give the troops communion before the ground war started. He was aeromeded back the a day or 2 later with fractured ribs. Apparently he had fallen into a slit trench in dark. Nothing to do with too much heavenly liquid..

The end of war bash - inventing a reason to send a Herc to Akrotiri (IIRC it was a landrover that had to be returned ASAP) so the crew could bring back a number of boxes with supplies of er heavenly liquid. The bash co-incided with one of the MAMS Sgts (D...e Be......u) 40th birthday.

Now you have stirred the memories.....

Riyadh

On the way to Ali Al Salem to recover the RAF Regt Fuch's Force. The team who looked for any chemical or bio weapons

Ali Al Salem air base

A couple of years after the war ended, I was doing CCS at Lyneham and saw a copy of Centurion, the magazine of RAF Catterick. On the cover was a photo of the recovery of the Fuch's Force. That's the MAMS Sgt and me walking from the Herc towards the camera. Quality not good as it was a photo of the cover.

The MAMS rover suitably decorated by the team.