PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New toy arrived today
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2014, 15:34
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're like me and only rarely need the wifi feature with a hard-wired main computer then turning that feature off on the router will provide a bit of extra security.
I agree. Properly installed CAT5/CAT6 structured cabling (or simple high quality patch cables of the same) will run circles around any sort of wireless (or stupid powerline nonsense) network .... stability and speeds will be much higher !

If you are security conscious though, but still want WiFi for the mobile devices and tablets in your life.... you can achieve security on the cheap (i.e. tightwad or home-user quality) courtesy of one (or two for redundancy) Raspberry-Pi's and a Wifi router/hotspot that supports WPA2-Enterprise with EAP-TLS. Setup RADIUS on the Pi's, issue certificates (rather than passwords) to your devices and the job's a good one !

But governments don't ever use WiFi for anything over a "RESTRICTED" protective marking, so there are obvious limits as to how secure you can ever make WiFi, and I still wouldn't do my online banking etc. over any WiFi connection that's based on a shared-key (or worse, an open captive-portal public hotspot).

Last edited by mixture; 8th Jun 2014 at 15:45.