PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MIKE DELTA X-RAY
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2014, 12:51
Mike Hart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIKE DELTA X-RAY

There are several threads running in the sister forum to this one regarding the Channel 7 program 'Sunday' and the loss of a light aircraft VH-MDX in August thirty three years ago. I believe it would be better if they were addressed in this forum first.

I am the same person interviewed for that program and I am the same person who was the Industry Complaints Commissioner for CASA. I am also the same person who was a professional pilot and flight instructor. I was on the day MDX was lost , the Air Traffic Services Officer, referred to then as Flight Service Officers, responsible for the airspace in which the aircraft was lost.

There is no issue or debate as far as I am concerned about the matters raised by Channel 7 in terms of the story that they have attempted to convey, it was a tragic loss of life and the airing of the matters is important to a lot of people as it should be to all of us as men and women.

I agreed to do the interview with Channel 7 as a matter of public record, the interview was extensive and covered everything relating to my recollections, now dated of that night and my role in the events. The material was for Channel 7 to use as they saw fit, it was not about me but the loss and continued uncertainty as to the exact whereabouts of the wreckage of the aircraft and its occupants. It is not Australia's only aviation mystery nor its first but nonetheless like all such events they do remain within Australian stories and folklore. A lot of very capable people have devoted a lot of time and effort to find MDX so far without success. I can add no more to the evidence out there other than another opinion.

As many in the industry know I have retired from the aviation industry and felt no need to have any further involvement in the industry, it was a great ride but it was over. My time in the industry gave me the opportunity to express my professional and considered views on a number of industry matters and I did so.

The assertion however of Mr Smith that officers of the Royal Australian Air Force were responsible for the loss of that aircraft and the lives of its occupants is however a view I find deeply offensive; as an aviator as a citizen and as an individual. I have no intention however of engaging in debate on the matters. The view espoused by Mr Smith is, one based on a profound ignorance on range of industry issues; the events on the day the aircraft was lost, the role of military airspace, military aviation activity, sound piloting technique, sound airmanship and the responsibilities of command.

Nor will I support the view of Mr Smith that the men and women of the RAAF would be so callous and indifferent to the welfare of the citizens who employ them that they would on a whim place their lives in jeopardy. To make such a remark is in my view to call one self into ridicule. Everybody did the best they could with the system they had at the time they had it.

I have my views as to the actions of the Captain of the aircraft but in the end there are some times in aviation where fate trumps. Let me say finally that I learnt the lessons of MDX very well and they tempered my flying, my approach to flight instruction, flight and line training and check and training for the rest of my flying career. Lessons learnt.

I do not wish to engage in further discussion to avoid edifying what is an unedifying spectacle and a ridiculous proposition. A lot of families were shattered by the events of that day, I think that is enough.