PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 8th Jun 2014, 11:20
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part Two Loss of VH-MDX

As pointed out by "flying-spike", the presentation tonight was more about the search for VH-MDX and much less about the efforts of Dick Smith to bring about change to the existing restrictions in relation to Williamtown airspace.

What was immediately apparent was the opening statement by the program presenter that Dick Smith had partially blamed the RAAF for the accident to VH-MDX last week, causing a storm of controversy. Mr Smith did not partially blame the RAAF last week, he said "I hold the military responsible for the loss of MDX, the RAAF sent five people to their death"

Despite what anyone thinks about the restrictions in force regarding Williamtown airspace, any fair minded person would believe, I contend, that Mr Smith was utterly wrong to blame the RAAF for the loss of the aircraft and those on board.

Mr Smith has done many good and generous things for others over a long period of time. He has also been able to build an impressive public image, however Mr Smith is also no novice in the art of "self promotion", which brings me to recall good advice given me by my late father. "Self praise is no recommendation".

I am not party to the real reasons the restrictions are in force regarding Williamtown airspace and I believe there must be good reasons. If Mr Smith believes otherwise it is his right to seek change. What he has no right to do is to denigrate the Australian Military, in this case the RAAF, by unjustly blaming them for an event which we all know was avoidable had other options been taken by the PIC. If on one of his adventures Mr Smith is in need of assistance, which can best be provided by the RAAF, I wonder if he will refuse to accept such assistance from those of whom he is so critical? Only he can answer that question.