PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber pilot helped land airliner after captain fell ill
Old 8th Jun 2014, 09:41
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Since when does a military bomber pilot have the credentials and / or experience to 'assess' a civilian jet transport pilot operating an aircraft they are completely unfamiliar with and not qualified on in a totally different environment than what they are accustomed to ?
He has no credetials and expierience to "assess", agreed. But where does it say, that to "assess" was the task needed in this situation?

..... completely unfamiliar with...
is probably exagerated somewhat. Basic flight instruments are the same in any aircraft, the switchology might be different, the interpretation of the information displayed should pose no problem. Before 911 I got two jump seat rides in A 320, and i had no trouble to identify all relevant information concerning position, attitude, altitude, track, speed, fuel, engines, radios and navaids within the first few minutes, despite my expierience was only fast jet analoge instrumentation. That does not qualify to handle the jet, but is enough to monitor and assist in some tasks if required.

..... in a total different environment....
The procedures, airspace, radio comm, rules and regs and the navaids and charts as well as the appropriate approaches available for IFR Flying are almost the same for any aircraft in that airspace structure, being it a commercial jet or a military fast jet or bomber aircraft.

.......they would be more trouble than they are worth..
You look from a point of skygod position on the abilities of military pilots concerning their general abilities for monitoring and assisting in conductung an IFR flight, you even seem mistrust their ability to adopt a role below the command position and fear interference in the safe operation of the aircraft by such military pilots.

May i remind, that the military is using crew concept procedures since two seat aircraft like the F4 were introduced nearly 50 years ago with clear definition of tasks and authority regardless of rank or seat position.

A pilot, who after some issue with the other pilot like in this discussed happening feels safer alone in a two crew cockpit than with an aditional set of eyes (FA, unqualified pilot, qualified pilot) should look for outside advice.