PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 8th Jun 2014, 08:57
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
AirRabbit,

Many, many thanks. I am just about to go on holiday so will not be able to study what you have written until I get back. I have done many approach to stall training exercises in the real aircraft on 707s and VC10s and also CofA test flights on these and the 747, all of which involved stalls. Obviously a careful deceleration at 1kt/sec is designed both to ensure a standard measurement of the stall warning and stall speeds but also to ensure that the aircraft did not enter an uncontrolled post stall condition.

Although long retired, I have followed the industry debate on stall training, in particular the RAeS discussions and resulting papers. Much as I applaud the efforts to improve the quality of simulation along the lines you have described for the 737, I do wonder whether the money would be better spent increasing the amount and the standard of the training within the current flight envelope. I think more of the debate should be focused on ensuring that ALL flight training personnel know thoroughly (1) the problems associated with the stall on their aircraft type, (2) the limitations of the simulator they are using, and (3) the correct piloting techniques to both avoid and recover from a stall.

Please don't get me wrong. Better simulator fidelity will always be welcome, but I also think a much greater understanding of what is involved when training in this interesting area is probably of even greater importance. It is a matter of where the available money is best spent.

Many thanks again for your excellent post.