PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 8th Jun 2014, 08:26
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dick has shown over and over again in this thread, he thinks he and his fellow "millionaire businessmen" are a privileged class in Australia and that the rules don't apply to them.
p.j.m.
Your prejudices and the green eyed monster of envy are on show here, and it is all rather pathetic, but Oh! So! predictable from a certain kind of Australia.

This is nothing about "millionaire businessmen" (do you know that, in Australia, you are entitled to start with nothing, as Dick did, and build a number of successful businesses, then you, too, could be a "millionaire" -- ie: successful --- or is that a crime in your eyes) and it is all about the RAAF imposing absolutely unnecessary movement restrictions --- because they can.

I have known Dick a long time (since the Big Bear Neutral Bay carpark days - read it up), Dick is one of the most altruistic people I have ever come across. Sure he has personally benefited from many of his successful reform programs, but only as a member of the aviation community, not because his personal benefit was the motivation.

The Australian aviation community would have had even greater benefits, if it hadn't been for the mindless resistance to change of selected parts of that community, even if the changes had reduced collision risk --- or, as some insist on saying, introducing more safety.

The attitude of a senior union official of a domestic pilot's union, after a trip to the US to see how well it all worked, says it all: "I don't care if it is safer, we are not going to accept that in Australia".

Part of his rational was that "Australian pilots can not be trusted (to use their brains) they must have prescriptive procedures".

This is the same bloke who used to insist (he probably still does) that "perceptions of safety problems" had to be addressed, even when it was show that the problem was not a real risk, it did not exist, it was just a perception.

There is not one of you who are criticizing Dick who have come up with any genuine risk management justification for the restriction, let alone come up with a rational reason to justify why we suffer such restrictions in Australia, compared to the US --- except for "that's the way we have always done it".

What I have seen, and see, time and again, in various meetings, is the fundamental rejection of ICAO risk based airspace designation, in favor of arrangements that can be shown as less safe -- then mitigate that risk of the less safe procedure, by seeking to exclude traffic, rather than having rational procedures to handle the traffic. Civilian and military persons are equally guilty of this irrational approach to rational risk management.

Tootle pip!!