PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An outstanding contribution to the art of display flying
Old 7th Jun 2014, 23:13
Genstabler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know Paul Day, either personally or by reputation. Nor, I suspect, do many civilian or even service aviators, let alone the public. From what I have read on here I am sure he would be a very deserving recipient and a popular one to those who know him. Perhaps he will be so honoured, if not this year then soon.

I do, however, think this is the one singularly appropriate year to honour the RAFAT, who have undeniably made and continue to make an outstanding and enduring contribution to display flying, not only in this country but across the world. It is their 50th anniversary.

Three years ago they suffered appalling tragedy, losing two pilots killed in accidents and a third to consequential traumatic stress. They were immediately subjected to a lengthy period of intrusive and often hostile inspection, analysis and reorganisation, culminating in undeserved and very public humiliation. The flawed SI into Sean Cunningham's death trashed their reputation, professionalism and integrity on very dubious and subsequently largely disproved evidence. I know how hurt and angry the Team were by this disgraceful episode.

From that low point, through their professionalism, hard work and inspired internal leadership, they have picked themselves up and reestablished their reputation as probably the most famous, popular and entertaining military aerobatic team in the world. They had massive public exposure throughout the Jubilee year and the UK Olympics, followed by a very successful tour of the Middle East. This, their 50th anniversary year, sees them entertaining the public with as fine and polished a display as they have ever achieved in the past. They have never been so visible and so popular with the British public.

It would be a very fitting and popular choice, not only with professional aviators but also with the public, if The Red Arrows were awarded this honour, this year.