PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 evacuation at Blackpool
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2014, 20:03
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's longer than I remember it, but I confess I only went there once or twice a decade ago, in the wet and dark in mid winter! Still, smoking brakes aren't dictated by runway length but braking effort.

The fact the flaps were up suggests any ATC comment, if correctly reported, must have been made during taxy or after parking. I think it's likely the aircraft was already stopped when the smoke was spotted - brakes probably wouldn't generate enough smoke for it to be visible at 10kts or more, from what I've seen in the past. Now that I've said that, of course, I'll be wrong.

Regardless, it would be helpful if any photos or video of the smoke exists so we can see the amount present.

Edit: I just read the Blackpool Gazette article posted in the Jet2 thread in "Airlines and Routes" and it quotes an airport spokesperson in mentioning an undercarriage hydraulic leak. That could be a big factor, or it could be utter rubbish. Guess we'll have to wait for some reliable information. The article also says a slide failed, but who knows if the pax or media were expecting to see slides from the overwing exits?

Last edited by Aluminium shuffler; 7th Jun 2014 at 20:15.