PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 7th Jun 2014, 18:52
joy ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite all the confusing and conflicting information on this thread and elsewhere, I accept that the Wrights probably were the first in powered, controlled and sustained flight, but sadly the whole matter is now seen by the general public in terms of:

no-one at all flew, then suddenly out of nowhere the Wrights did.

The reality is that they benefited hugely from a wealth of accumulated experience and wisdom from around the world, were not the first to fly and not the first aloft under power.

By the time of their first flight others were very close, and some of them had a better idea of how to build a plane.

Many inventions, developments and achievements are NOT achieved in a complete vacuum; many have roots in earlier work and some are arrived at by several people.

I certainly do respect the achievements and dedication of the Wrights, but I feel that their Uber-heroic status - particularly in their home country - gives a very, er, warped (!) impression of their aeronautical significance, and it is disturbingly exclusive of the great pioneers and the other close contenders.