PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perfect Example Of CASA Outrageaous Behaviour?
Old 7th Jun 2014, 13:23
Anthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wtf is the agenda here? If CASA has research that says cvd pilots are a safety threat then they should cite the evidence. From where I see it, the evidence supports the contention that cvd are safe.

Bill, the issue with PAPI is a bit of a furphy, IMHO. According to ICAO annex 14, PAPI is designed and intended to be used within 5000m of the tdz. Although the color differential between red and white can be seen at much greater distances by color normals, pilots with a 'mild' cvd can still use the PAPI within 5km. Besides, there are other methods of determining "on slope" besides a PAPI.

Like you, Bill, I have a cvd. I have also held a professional flight crew licence for 30 years and have some 14,000 hours of flight time. I have never had any issues with colour differentiation on the flight deck or with aerodrome aids, such as PAPI. As a sailor, the nature of my cvd is evident as I am able to differentiate between yellow and white navigational markers at distances well beyond what colour 'normal' sailors can.