PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilkAir releases 8 expatriate pilots
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2003, 00:20
Thermal Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lee,

>>The ****ty Times, oops I mean The Straits Times would love to adopt your slogan for advertising. You better start to make them an offer they can't refuse!

I confess that I only parrot this phrase. The first time I heard it was in the late 80s when an ex-scholar had just left the RSAF to return to the commercial world. We were making small talk about air force incidents when he very seriously said:

"If it's in the Straits Times, then it must be true".

Yes perhaps I'd better start looking for some other day job.

The Gypsy,

>>Thermal Image I did say that the locals in most Airlines also had not much protection either.

Yes I missed it. I must be a good specimen of local upbringing, only able to read direct instructions from on high and somewhat poor at reasoning, particularly when long sentences are involved.

>>As for those SQ6 Pilots you surely do not think they could expect anything other than termination??? They had to go IMHO '.Sorry I will do better next time' is not an option.

It's not that I had expected them to stay on. But for the company to rely on that clause as "the official reason" was somewhat lame.

>>Also expats have' term' contracts unlike locals in SIA so apart from having the 3 months notice they can just choose not to renew one's contract,so I think it fair to say that ex-pats have less job security,at least in SIA.

I'm not sure about expats having less job security than locals. Locals have so far demonstrated an incredible lack of mobility, in terms of working for other airlines. For whatever reasons. In any case, the option not to renew can be exercised by either party, correct? Also, since the least denominator is the magical 3-month clause, in effect in means that everyone, expat and local, can only count on 3-months supply of cash at worst.