PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying with One or Two hands
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2014, 09:54
hikoushi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only airliner currently flying in revenue service that I believe is still regularly and legitimately taught to be landed with 2 hands on the yoke (in the last bit of the flare ONLY) is the DC-9 / MD-XX / B-717 while landing in very gusty winds. No hydraulics so very hands-on. Sequence like this:

1. Left hand on yoke right on throttle. 30 feet (depending on energy state), retard throttle and initiate flare.
2. Right hand to yoke. Complete flare with 2 hands, using precise movements both calculated and rapid, which as airspeed reduces become mighty heaves, shoves, and 90-degree twists of the yoke to counter gusts and maintain flare attitude. Slight "release" of back-pressure right at touchdown (if it is a "good mojo" landing day only).
3. Right hand grabs spoiler handle and holds it forward, momentarily preventing auto-deployment. Gently allow spoilers to deploy simultaneously with "seating" the weight of the aircraft with your left hand as you begin derotation.
4. Release spoiler handle, pull idle reverse.
5. Nose on the ground, deploy more reverse (as required) and stop.
6. Go home and drink beer. Massage your sore biceps from "Wrestling with the Beast".
7. If you think this is crazy talk, you are probably a career Airbus pilot and have never flown one of these, or have never flown one into really gusty winds. Don't get me wrong, I fly the Bus now and love it. But my biceps are shriveling up from lack of use.

I suppose the IL-62 may be the same.