PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Pay review
Thread: EK Pay review
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2014, 06:31
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moose

Assuming you're from 'merica, it doesn't surprise me that CDA's are low on your agenda. Not a criticism, just stating fact. CDA's are not a feature of US flying and therefore not really taught or encouraged. In Europe they are and need to be due to highly noise sensitive airports. Airlines get notified and often fined, particularly on departure violations. I don't think many European pilots do it for a pat on the back, it's done because that's the way most of us were trained and it's ingrained in the way we operate the aircraft.

As for your statement about CDA's likely to end up with more unstable approaches, I completely disagree. My previous Company was one of the worst offenders into LGW back in the late 90's with CDA's (after all the American airlines!). An 'education and awareness' program followed and they went from being bottom to 2nd best in 12 months. Interestingly, they found that the number of G/A's due to unstable approaches were reduced by almost half. Why? Because pilots were consciously calculating their profile and managing their energy accordingly. So, if anything, I'd say that correctly flown CDA's actually reduce unstable approaches. A CDA, at the end of the day is nothing more than efficient energy management, right?

Assuming you are an EK jockey, you might want to take a look at the OMA. Flying safely from A-B is a given. You're also expected to do so efficiently!

Now, shall we get back to the topic Captain?