PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phones on Aircraft CAA Report
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2003, 23:37
bakedbean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have been involved with an incident on a Dash 8 aircraft...the classic not the super Dash . During the cruise on a stormy night over water(I do not wish to elaborate on the route) we had an auto pilot disconnect (it may have been the yaw damper which caused this) and the detail is rather vague in my memory and also noted an OAT of -99C. I cannot now remember all the other items but checked with the cabin crew to see if any phones were on. The one crew members phone was on and once turned of all systems normal(coincidence). Ten minutes later approaching land failures returned. Cabin crew PA to pax and 7 phones in overhead lockers were turned off. Operations normal. A ferry flight to engineering base and no problems found on memory. Engineers agreed that the proximity of OAT prob to the overhead lockers and the times at which the problems arose(leaving the coast and then approaching) made phones the most likely cause. To the best of my knowledge this problem never returned.
Also mobil phones were responsible for false baggage fire warning causing numerous abandoned T/O and rapid relands. A different warning system is now in use and that A/C type now.