PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbine heli's
Thread: Turbine heli's
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2014, 23:45
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may seem like an odd question, but in the world of turbine helicopters are any turbines designed around the old centripetal design (Frank Whittle) or are they all the newer axial turbine design
Are you asking about the turboshaft engine's compressor or turbine configuration, or both? Your post asked specifically about "the newer axial turbine design", so I would assume you want to know about the turbine and not the compressor. Regarding the turbine configuration, every modern turboshaft engine I can think of uses axial stages exclusively. I believe the main reason for this is a radial turbine cannot be adequately cooled at the size needed for aircraft turboshaft engine applications.

Regarding compressors, newer turboshaft engines with outputs up to about 3,000 hp use a mix of axial and radial configurations. The radial configuration is preferred for the HP stage(s), since it allows a greater pressure ratio per stage with lower losses. The trend in turboshaft engine design is to push operating pressure ratios higher to improve thermal efficiency, so multiple radial compressor stages are becoming more common.