PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 6th Jun 2014, 04:35
eetrojan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, Mr. Simplex, if I follow your initial post and posts 190, 193, and 198, you’re steel trap of a mind is asking us to connect the following “logical” dots and agree with you that the Wrights didn’t fly until 1908:

(1) The Wright’s 1903 flight did not happen, because

(2) The Wright’s 1905 flight did not happen, because

(3) Scientific American’s 1906 article reported on responses from 11 witnesses that said the aeroplane was “pushed for a short distance by hand” [190] and that can’t possibly be true because the 1905 flight “was pulled by a falling heavy weight.” [193] which means the aeroplane would have been moving much too fast for anybody to push the aeroplane, and thus those witnesses lied, because

(4) The videos of the Wright’s 1908-1909 flights show the aeroplane being launched with a falling heavy weight that falls “in about two seconds” making it “ridiculous” to imagine somebody trying to run “even 0.5 sec along the side” [198].

Holy crap. Did I miss anything?

Your logic is totally crazy. More importantly, it’s demonstrably wrong given that it all hinges on your ultimate assertion that the YouTube video of the 1908-1909 flights somehow proves that men can’t run along side, when in fact if you look just a little bit closer, the video repeatedly shows just that. And, if there were also men running along the side of the aeroplane to stabilize the wing as it is accelerated forward by the falling weight in 1905, I suggest to you that it would have been reasonable for the 11 lay witnesses to have described their activity as “pushing.”

Oddly, you do not even acknowledge longer ron’s pithy reply in [199] where he notes that “Towards the end of that [1908-09] YouTube clip - you can clearly see a guy [running along the side] and stabilizing the wing tip whilst running with it for a few yards” (5:24-5:28 or so). As shown by the red arrow above, there’s also a guy running along side and stabilizing the wing tip in the 1908 flight in France too, around 1:16.

Here, have a watch. Go to 1:15 and then play.