PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 6th Jun 2014, 02:15
CWO Geoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Creampuff.

As you may have noted in my previous posts in this thread, I was ATC at WLM 1982-3. I'm sure that a lot has changed in the Sydney airspace since then - why, we even now have 'alphabetical' airspace - that wasn't around when I was at WLM. In those days the ATZ was GL to 5000ft (12nm radius)and far more often than not, once the knucks had back in the lines the airspace was released to FIS5 and S1. We only used to keep the zone when we were responsible for providing IFR separation for incoming/outgoing civilian aircraft from the 'civvy side'. Once they had finished, the Zone was released to FIS5.
I'm afraid that I can't comment on what the status quo is these days as I'm not active in either the ATC or PPL environments.

Hi Bill. <<Lots of people peddling half truths on this site >>
You're sure right there. People need to read all the transcripts to see just how this unfolded. And Dick shouldn't cherry pick the bits that support his crusade. I must admit that Dick Smith has been one of my heroes over the past 40+ years but, to me, he has lost all credibility by having a go at the professionalism of RAAF ATC when it is not warranted. The 'system' may have contributed to this disaster, but the RAAF ATC certainly didn't! Get off the hobby horse Dick! Blame the system, maybe; blame RAAFWLM ATC - not guilty, 'M'lud! And I think that the transcripts say it all.

Gee, I remember with fondness those nights in the back bar at RIC after night flying had finished. In those days you were quite willing to down a few coldies with us, the opposition/enemy (RIC ATC). You must have departed very shortly after that. Fond memories of days gone by.

<< "Why can't we plan direct. " Ans "because there is a red arrow. "But why is there a red arrow?," Ans "Because we don't want you to plan that way". >>
Just for a bit of clarity, exactly WHO made each of those statements, especially the last one? Who is the 'we'.