PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2014, 17:20
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I/D cards etc

Chugalug2 - Re service numbers, was the RAF the only service to use one's 'last three' as an extra aid to identification? Dunno about the Navy, but asking a squaddie for his last three would inevitably be answered by a look of total bafflement. As to cards in general, somewhere I have my RCAF I/D card that was issued to us all in lieu of the usual F1250 - will post a pic thereof, if I can find the d--- thing! The GPU memoir will show in due course, but as it's the last of the lot I'm afraid you may have to wait for a while - but not too long, I hope.

The subsummation of Transport Command into Air Support ditto did not occur until around 1970, and I for one regretted the day that our shiny VC10s exchanged the proud transport title for something that suggested being part of the Equipment branch. Fortunately this did not last very long, the latter part of the hated title being deleted so that we ended up as plain Royal Air Force - much better, and quite unambiguous.

Danny42C - Just as well you did not wait for call-up, as I think it's generally true that the volunteer is more likely to get what he wants - which is why I volunteered as soon as I had left school. It certainly worked for me, but perhaps I was lucky!